- December 14-17, 2009. T. Yli-Mattila visited All-Russian Plant Protection Institute and discussed with T. Gagkaeva, O. Gavrilova, G. Mitina, M. Levitin and P. Gannibal.
- November 30-December 1, 2009. Henriette Giese organized the Nordic network meeting at the Research Center Foulum in
. A total of 54 people participated in the meeting. Minutes for the steering committee meeting are available here. Denmark
- November 23-December 3, 2009. T. Gagkaeva and O. Gavrilova from All-Russian Plant Protection Institute (
St. Petersburg) visited Turkuuniversity together with G. Kononenko (November 28-December 3, 2009) from Veterinary Sanitation, Hygiene, and Ecology Institute (Moscow) and discussed with T. Yli-Mattila and M. Raudaskoski.
- November 2-8, 2009. Dr. G. Mitina from All-Russian Plant Protection Institute visited Turku and discussed with T. Yli-Mattila.
- Autumn, 2009. Rasmus J.N. Frandsen (PhD student) from the University of Copenhagen
(DK) visited Dr. Silvio Uhlig at the National Veterinary Institute in Oslo (N). Duration: 2 weeks + 1 week. The aim of the visit was to purify and characterize two novel pigments produced by Gibberella ssp. The pigments are naturally occurring in perithecia, however to allow for large scale production the expression pattern of the involved genes have been changed by genetic engineering, permitting production of the pigments in liquid cultures. During the stay we managed to establish an efficient purification method for one of the pigments by semi-preparative HPLC and crystallization. High resolution mass spectrometry and different NMR techniques (in collaboration with the University of Oslo) have subsequently been employed in an effort to describe the structure of the purified pigment. New incubation conditions are currently being tested in Copenhagen with the aim of increasing the 13C contents of the pigments, which will allow for more efficient NMR measurements.
June 5-15, 2009. T. Yli-Mattila visited All-Russian Plant Protection Institute and discussed with T. Gagkaeva, O. Gavrilova, G. Mitina, P. Gannibal and Mark Levitin. A new manuscript was finished with G. Mitina.
- April 13-17, 2009. Dr. T. Gagkaeva from All-Russian Plant Protection Institute and G. Kononenko from Veterinary Sanitation, Hygiene, and Ecology Institute (
Moscow) visited and discussed with T. Yli-Mattila. Turku
- April 7-17, 2009. Ph.D. student O. Gavrilova from All-Russian Plant Protection Institute visited
. She amplified IGS sequences of Asian F. langsethiae isolates for sequencing and phylogenetic studies. Turku
- April 14-15, 2009. Elisabeth Fredlund organized the Nordic network meeting at the National Food Administration,
. A total of 35 people participated in the meeting. The presentations are found here. Minutes for the steering committee meeting are available here. Uppsala, Sweden
- March 21, 2009. Small group meeting in Asilomar in
. Participants E. Lysøe, T. Johanson, R. Kristensen, T, Sondergaard, F, Hansen, R. Frandsen, L. Nielsen, H. Giese and R. Proctor. H. Giese told about her plans to organize the next network meeting at the Research Centre Foulum in November 2009. She suggested us to consider, if we should apply for a new COST action. Other possibilities to continue the network were also considered. Future network visits in 2009 were discussed. USA
- February 10-27, 2009. O. Gavrilova from All-Russian Plant Protection Institute visited
. She measured DNA of trichothecene producing fusaria in grain samples by TaqMan qPCR and analysed phylogenetic DNA sequence data of Fusarium isolates with T. Yli-Mattila. Turku
- December 18, 2008. S. Uhlig from Norwegian National Veterinary Institute participated in the Fusarium secondary metabolite meeting in Reseach Center Foulum, Tjele in Denmark and gave a speech “Biotoxin chemistry at the National Veterinary Institute”.
- December 8, 2008. G. Eriksen from Norwegian National Veterinary Institute made a network visit to Evira in
in order to discuss with M. Jestoi. Helsinki
- November 28, 2008. T. Yli-Mattila, M. Hussein and M. Raudaskoski from the
Universityof and T. Gagkaeva and O. Gavrilova from All-Russian Plant Protection Institute discussed joint research projects in Turku . Turku
- November 17-December 11, 2008. Ph.D. student O. Gavrilova visited
and studied artificially inoculated Russian oat samples by TaqMan qPCR and Russian Fusarium langsethiae isolates by DNA sequencing. K. O’Donnell in USDA in Turku helped us in DNA sequencing. Peoria
- October 13-14, 2008. K. Peltonen and M. Jonsson from Evira visited National Veterinary Institute in order to discuss joint research projects.
- September 3-5, 2008. T. Gagkaeva and O. Gavrilova from All-Russian Plant Protection Institute visited
. Universityof Turku
- September 2, 2008. Network meeting in Alghero in
. Minutes for the steering committee meeting are available here. Italy
- July 17-26, 2008. T. Yli-Mattila visited All-Russian Plant Protection Institute and discussed with T. Gagkaeva, O. Gavrilova and G. Mitina from All-Russian Plant research Institute. T. Gagkaeva demonstrated the use of a new microscope for Fusarium identification for T. Yli-Mattila. They also collected plant disease samples from cereals in
- June 26, 2008. Network meeting in Ås in
. Minutes for the steering committee meeting are available here. Norway
- June 21-28, 2008. The PhD student course "Fusarium, genes and toxins" were arranged at Bioforsk Plantehelse, Ås. The course was organized by this Nordforsk Network, Bioforsk and University of Life Sciences.
- September 1, 2007 - June 1, 2008. Erik Lysøe from Bioforsk, Ås, Norway were visiting Dr. Corby Kistlers lab at the Cereal Disease Laboratory, USDA ARS, University of Minnesota, for nine months doing research on several projects. He used Affymetrix microarray technology to look at gene expression in a transcription factor mutant and also during wheat infection of Fusarium graminearum. This travel were finansed by a BILAT project.
- April 13-16, 2008. Dr. Robert Proctor from National Center for Agricultural Utilization Research (Peoria, USA) visited the University of Turku and gave a lecture “Gene clusters and secondary metabolism in the filamentous fungus Fusarium”.
- March 12, 2008. Eight participants of the network attended the Fusarium seminar, which was organized by Thomas Börjesson and Hans Pettersson in SLU in Uppsala. The titles of lectures are here.
- December 2-4, 2007. Tapani Yli-Mattila participated in the national Fusarium Head Blight Forum in Kansas City in USA with a poster (with Tatiana Gagkaeva, Todd Ward and Kerry O’Donnell) dealing with trichothecene chemotype composition of F. graminearum and related species in Finland and Russia.
- November 16-18, 2007. Finnish Russian small group meeting in Kittilä in Finland. Tapani Yli-Mattila was the chairman and secretary of the meeting. Prof. Marjatta Raudaskoski, Dr. Tatiana Gagkaeva and PhD student Olga Gavrilova were also participating in the meeting. A new research plan dealing with molecular characterization of toxigenic Fusarium fungi and their plant-pathogen interactions for the application to the Academy of Finland was prepared.
- November 5-30, 2007. PhD student Olga Gavrilova visited University of Turku and studied Russian grain samples and Fusarium isolates with species-specific primers and qPCR analysis.
- October 30, 2007. Arne Holst-Jensen and Ralf Kristensen from National Veterinary Institute (NVI) in Norway visited DTU, Lyngby, Denmark and discussed with Jens Frisvad, Ulf Thrane, Birgitte Andersen and Mogens Nicolaisen from DTU. Both parties agreed to collaborate on the characterisation of strains and that DTU will concentrate on toxin synthesis ability characterisation and NVI on DNA sequencing based characterisation and detection assay development.
- September 18, 2007. Network meeting and “Toxigenic micromycetes in Europe” symposium in St. Petersburg. The titles of lectures are here. The abstracts of the presentations (lectures and posters) can be found in the abstract book of the XV Congress of European mycologists. Minutes for the steering committee meeting are available here.
- June 18 - July 2, 2007. Several people from Bioforsk and National Veterinary Institute in Norway were participating on different courses at Kansas State University. Spotted Microarray (Ralf and Erik), Fusarium Laboratory Workshop (Ralf, Trude, Ingerd, Heidi and Erik) and Real-Time PCR (Ingerd and Heidi).
- March 9 - April 8, 2007. Tapani Yli-Mattila visited the USDA laboratory of Kerry O’Donnell in Peoria in USA. During the visit he studied the chemotype composition of ca. 300 Fusarium isolates, which were collected in 1986-2006 in different parts of Russia, Finland, China and Germany.
- February 15-16, 2007. Network meeting Ås. The presentations are here. Minutes for the steering committee meeting are available here.
- November 22 - December 13, 2006. Tatiana Gagkaeva visited the University of Turku with her student Olga Gavrilova. During the visit they studied Fusarium DNA levels in Russian grain samples by real-time qPCR and confirmed the morphological identification of Russian Fusarium isolates by species-specific primers. On December 11, 2006 they visited Chemistry and Toxicology and Microbiology Units in Evira in Helsinki with Tapani Yli-Mattila from the University of Turku
- September 19, 2006. Tapani Yli-Matila organized the fourth Network meeting at the WICC Congress Centre in Wageningen in The Netherlands with 9th European Fusarium seminar. 18 people from 10 institutions participated in the meeting. For more information see the program of the Network meeting. Minutes for the steering committee meeting are available here.
- August 14-23, 2006. Galina Mitina visited the University of Turku, extracted DNA from Paecilomyces and Beauveria strains isolated from Ixodes species and amplified ITS and IGS sequences for sequencing.
- June 19-28, 2006. Marjatta Raudaskoski and Tapani Yli-Mattila visited All-Russian Plant Protection Institute and discussed with Tatiana Gagkaeva, Galina Mitina and Mark Levitin from All-Russian Plant research Institute and Nina Belova and Nadezhda Psurtseva from the Laboratory of Fungal Biochemistry at Komarov Botanical Institute. They also visited other laboratories of the institute and collected plant disease samples from cereals together with the Russian colleagues around St. Petersburg. On June 21 Marjatta Raudaskoski gave a lecture “Molecular and cell biology of plant pathogenic filamentous fungi” in All-Russian Plant Protection Institute.
- June 13-15, 2006. Magnus Simonsson and Ann Gidlund visited the National Veterinary Institute (NVI) in Oslo in Norway and discussed with Arne Holst-Jensen, Trude Vrålstad and Ralf Kristensen from NVI and Sonja Klemsdal from Bioforsk about the correlation between quantification of Fusarium spp. and Fusarium toxin levels in order to prepare larger discussions in our future network meetings.
- June 9-12, 2006. Galina Kalko visited the University of Turku in Finland and finished the cloning of a specific fragment of a Fusarium oxysporum strain for sequencing.
- May 12, 2006. Tapani Yli-Mattila visited MTT research station in Jokioinen in Finland, where he discussed with Veli Hietaniemi, Sari Rämo and Päivi Parikka from MTT and Aldo Rizzo and Meri Kokkonen from EVIRA about the mycotoxin results, Fusarium contamination and DNA levels in Finland. On June 2, 2006 he also discussed with Aldo Rizzo in Helsinki.
- April 8-17, 2006. Philipp Gannibal visited the University of Turku in Finland and continued his molecular studies with Alternaria isolates.
- April 8-14, 2006. Tatiana Gagkaeva visited the University of Turku in Finland and continued her molecular studies with F. graminearum isolates. She also analysed the results of her previous visit with Tapani Yli-Mattila.
- April 6-7, 2006. Hans Pettersson and Monica Olsen organzed the third network meeting at the National Food Administration, Uppsala, Sweden. A total of 29 people from 14 institutes participated in the meeting. For more information see the program of the Network meeting. Minutes for the steering committee meeting are available here.
- November 11-12, 2005. Henriette Giese organized the second network meeting at the Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Copenhagen, Denmark. A total of 10 people from 8 institutes participated in the meeting. Minutes for this meeting are available here. Before the meeting most of participants also attended the international “Fungal Genetics Meeting”, which was also organised by Henriette Giese at the Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University on November 10-11, 2005. For more information see the program of the “Fungal Genetics Meeting”.
- October 26-28, 2005. Marika Jestoi visited National Veterinary Institute in Oslo. She continued her discussions with Silvio Uhlig in order to prepare the paper mentioned below.
- August 16-24, 2005. Philipp Gannibal visited the University of Turku in Finland. During the visit he tested new specific primers which were designed to detect and identify species of Alternaria infectoria species-group in cereal samples. One primer pair was selected as taxon-specific and effective.
- June 29-July 2, 2005. Silvio Uhlig visited EELA in Helsinki. They discussed the results of their common project aimed at the evaluation of multiple regression analysis as a tool for the identification of toxic/bioactive principles of complex mixtures. The "complex mixtures" in this case were extracts from rice cultures of Fusarium avenaceum. If the concept is successful it may be applied for similar problems as an alternative or additional tool for chemical methods. They are currently preparing a paper with the title "Identification of cytotoxic principles of Fusarium avenaceum - a statistical approach".
- June 14-17, 2005. Tapani Yli-Mattila visited Copenhagen, where he discussed with Ulf Thrane. From Copenhagen he continued to Malmö and Alnarp, where he discussed with Hans Pettersson and participated in the NJF Seminar 369 “Organic Farming for a new Millenium”, in which he had a poster “Clover rot (Sclerotinia trifoliorum) and Fusarium fungi in organic red clover in Finland” (Yli-Mattila, T., Kalko, G., Hannukkala, A. and Hakala, K).
- April 6, 2005. Tapani Yli-Mattila and Galina Kalko visited the real-time PCR seminar organised by Tamro in Helsinki.
- April 5-20. 2005. Philipp Gannibal visited Turku in Finland and Ås in Norway. In Turku (April 5-11 and 18-20) he cloned and sequenced a species-specific UP-PCR product for A. infectoria with Tapani Yli-Mattila, and in Norway he was analysing and discussing with Sonja Klemsdal the results of his experimental work in Ås in 2004.
- April 4, 2005. Tapani Yli-Mattila gave a lecture "Real-time PCR detection and quantification of toxigenic Fusarium fungi in Finnish and Russian grain samples as compared to their mycotoxin levels" on April 4, 2005 in Finnish Forest Research Institute in Vantaa.
- February 11 and April 11, 2005. Tapani Yli-Mattila visited Helsinki and discussed with Aldo Rizzo and Marika Jestoi.
- January 20 - 21 2005: Tapani Yli-Matila organized the first Network meeting at the University of Turku, Finland. A total of 12 people from 8 institutions participated on the meeting. For more information see the Minutes from the meeting. Pictures are also available from the meeting.
- January 11 - 14 2005: Tapani Yli-Mattila visited Norway. He had a meeting with Sonja Klemsdal and Trude Vrålstad at the Norwegian Crop Research Institute (Ås) on January 12, a meeting with Silvio Uhlig at the National Veterinary Isntitute (Oslo) on January 13, and attended the NordForsk seminar on January 13-14 at Lyseby for NordForsk Network coordinators.